Thursday, June 3, 2010

Spinning from Roving

I decided to put my teasing and carding of raw fleece aside for the moment and try spinning from a prepared dyed roving and what a difference!

Pictured below from left to right:



Pencil, 3ply, 2ply, loftier 2ply, drafted roving


So for a newby like me to get finer consistant yarns, consistant finely drafted roving is almost vital. So there you go newbies like me... you CAN do it.

When the roving is drafted out this fine, it practically spins itself - no kidding! I don't even know what weights these would be. The loftier 2ply is about a baby weight and is spun at about 7 twists per inch. This means I treadle twice for each 2 1/2 inch section on my wheel that works at 6 1/2 twists per wheel revolution. I hope that makes sense. The higher twist 2ply is obviously finer than the baby weight

Sorry I used black to illustrate this, but it's what I had. :D

Doin' the happy dance..... de de de deeee

2 comments:

  1. Carol, you should do a wpi (wraps per inch) and this will tell you if you are spinning a lace weight, fingering, or whatever! Go to:

    http://askthebellwether.blogspot.com/2007/05/how-much-fiber-do-i-spin-to-get-200.html

    She has a chart on this page 3/4 of the way down!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks June - I just tried it on the 2 finished plied skeins and they're 14 wpi - wahooo... DK!

    ReplyDelete