Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Native Crafters Ravelry Group

Much to my surprise and delight,

I've joined the moderating team on the Native Crafters group on Ravelry.


This group is pretty small for the moment, it's coughed and sputtered for a while, but I really hope we can breathe new life into the group. We're doing a SAL (spin-a-long) after Christmas and I'm so looking forward to it! By the way, you don't have to be Native to join the group, everyone's welcome and more the merrier.

I met a very talented spinner on there today, she just joined and her handspun knits are absolutely gorgeous! And yes, she spins her own 2ply lace-weight and she's an ace at Navajo plying! I'm so going to enjoy this SAL - I can't wait to see the braids she's chosen spun up.

Here's what I'm going to spin, it's a Merino/Nylon sock kit I got from Smith and Ewe. Isn't it pretty? Just take my word for it that's it's much prettier in person.



















It's so hard to get the colours right in the pictures, it's more light to dark mauve/purple with a small amount of blue. The picture shows a little more red than there should be.


Here's what the package says:


"Handspinners Pair of Socks
The 80% Merino/ 20% Nylon superwash rovings have been handpainted,
then split in half to form 2 balls of roving to spin yarn for 2 socks. 125g

It's a novel fibre presentation to me, I've never seen these sock kits before - her prices are definitely reasonable and she shipped really fast, I'll buy from her again!
She's based out of Kamloops, BC.

For the SAL my challenge is: spin Navajo plied fingering weight sock yarn.... ya.... (we'll see, this goal could surreptitiously change!) Come on over to the Native Crafters group and you'll see it all go down! Come and join us and show me how it's really done ;D


No comments:

Post a Comment